School Congestion – Potential Highways Improvements
Throughout this academic year we have been working with Middlesbrough Council Highways Department, Cleveland Police, our local Ward and Parish Councillors and parent representatives to work towards a solution to the ongoing issues with congestion around school. We have been trying to achieve a sustainable plan to reduce the the road and pedestrian safety risks and the impact on our nearby neighbours as education and enforcement only have a short term effect on driver behaviour.
Following our last meeting, we are pleased to present a package of proposed highway improvement measures, comprising the following:
- Introduction of a controlled pedestrian crossing facility (such as a zebra or a puffin crossing) on the section of Clevegate between its junctions with Guisborough Road and Mallowdale;
- Introduction of ‘table top’ crossings at both entries to Chandlers Ridge from Clevegate;
- Introduction of ‘no waiting at any time’ restrictions (i.e. double yellow lines) on Chandlers Ridge (at its junction with Clevegate and on the inside of the bend just to the east of the school entrance) and Muirfield (at its junction with Chandlers Ridge); and
- Introduction of additional advisory ‘H’ markings protecting the driveways of a number of properties on Chandlers Ridge, Allerton Park and Clevegate.
The timing of the proposals is as follows:
- ‘H’ markings can be introduced relatively quickly, and should be in place for the start of the new academic year in September.
- The waiting restrictions will need to be covered by a formal Traffic Regulation Order, the introduction of which will need to follow a statutory process that includes consultation with key transport stakeholders such as the Police and the emergency services as well as with the occupiers of the adjacent properties. The proposed restrictions are to be discussed at the next meeting of the Middlesbrough Officers’ Traffic Group, which will be held on Wednesday 5th July. Assuming that no objections are received, these can be in place before the end of 2017.
- The proposed pedestrian crossing facility on Clevegate and the two ‘table top’ crossings on Chandlers Ridge are subject to funding from the Council’s 2018/19 Local Transport Capital Programme. These measures would form part of the designated ‘Safer Route to School’ between Brass Castle Lane and Chandlers Ridge Academy – a factor which would be taken into consideration during the budget setting process next year.
You can view and download the proposals here: Chandlers Ridge Academy – Potential Highway Improvements – 12 June 2017
Share your view!
If you have any comments or queries on the proposals, please contact Rob Farnham, Principal Transport Planning Officer, Middlesbrough Council Tel: (01642) 728188, e-mail: email@example.com.